Online Learning and Student Parents: Benefits, Challenges and Future Directions (February 27, 2012)
Feb 27, 2012
from 02:00 PM to 03:15 PM
|Contact Name||Tiffany Boiman|
|Add event to calendar||
Click here to view the webinar.
Please join us for a webinar!
Online Learning and Student Parents:
Benefits, Challenges and Future Directions
Hosted by IWPR’s Student Parent Success Initiative (SPSI)
Monday, February 27, 2:00-3:15 p.m. E.T.
This webinar, hosted by IWPR’s Student Parent Success Initiative, highlights findings from analysis conducted by Wider Opportunities for Women and the Institute for Women’s Policy Research that addresses online learning, primarily at community colleges, as a vehicle for promoting engagement, retention, and college completion among students with children.
● Who are student-parents, and what are their challenges? Speakers will discuss research on the prevalence of college students with children, and why and how online learning can help address their needs.
● The history of online learning at community colleges;
● Examples of how programs use technology and online learning to deliver classes to student parents in ways that allow better integration with work and family obligations, including hybrid models of instruction, classes with multiple exits and entrances, and supports that facilitate success in an online environment; and
● Administrator perspectives on the key elements, benefits and challenges related to online program implementation and operation.
Listeners will have the opportunity to submit questions and comments to be addressed by presenters near the end of the event.
● Kevin Miller, Ph.D., Senior Research Associate, IWPR
● Mary Gatta, Ph.D., Senior Scholar, Wider Opportunities for Women
● Frank Mayadas, Ph.D., Senior Advisor, Sloan Foundation
● Alexandra Pickett, Associate Director, SUNY Learning Network
You must be registered to access the event. Register online!